Intern (Fixed Term) (Trainee)
At the City of Olathe, Kansas we are "Setting the Standard for Excellence in Public Service" and we have the results to prove it! To continue this trend of excellence, we are recruiting for our new Budget and Strategic Planning Intern. This isn't the opportunity to make the morning coffee! This internship adds real, tangible value to our team. The person in this role will take on meaningful projects that will impact our processes and create the valuable infrastructure needed to achieve the goals set forth in the Olathe 2040 Future Ready Strategic Plan.
Monitor and analyze governmental services including delivery strategies, costs, results and comparative performance for the Economy Focus Area and the City of Olathe. Provide coordination, expertise and knowledge to departments in preparation of multi-year strategic plan implementation, annual budgets and quality improvement projects; and perform a wide variety of analytical, reporting and financial tasks.
- Monitor existing revenue sources and prepare supporting forecasts
- Assist with Olathe's internal and external performance discussions through detailed analysis that supports uncovering the story behind the data sets
- Help execute government accounting and financial practices and procedures
- Synthesize and present complex data sources
- Collaborate with different departments on varying financial requests
- Enhance hard skills such as: Excel, financial management system and reporting software knowledge
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION:
Required Education and Experience:
- Pursuing or have obtained a bachelor's degree.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Plan to pursue or have obtained a master's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.