Historic Site Guide
Estimated Hiring Rate: $13.00 per hour.
The City of Olathe is looking for outgoing individuals who enjoy history, teaching, and engaging with people.
Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm offers daily programming and special events year-round to visitors. Our Historic Site Guides primarily assist with preparation, planning, and setup of program materials. You will also support admissions/reception and one on-of-a-kind gift shop. This role also may assist in the feeding and care of livestock.
Each of our employees at Mahaffie wears period-appropriate clothing (provided) and works both indoors and outdoors in all weather.
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.
- Conduct educational activities for children and adults.
- Learn 19th century historical processes to demonstrate for visitors, and involve visitors in those processes. Examples: quilting, sewing, wood stove cooking, gardening, carpentry, blacksmithing, planting and harvesting field crops with hand tools.
- Describe points of interest to visitors and respond to questions.
- Monitor visitors' activities to ensure compliance with establishment or tour regulations and safety practices. Assist visitors in safely entering and exiting the site stagecoaches for rides.
- Greet and register visitors, and issue any required identification badges or safety devices.
- Distribute brochures, answer general questions, show audiovisual presentations, and provide other pertinent information to visitors.
- Provide for physical safety of groups, performing such activities as providing first aid and directing emergency evacuations.
- Analyze clients' ages and ability levels in order to plan instruction and commentary that are appropriate.
- Solicit tour patronage and operate gift shop.
- Assemble and check the required supplies and equipment prior to program delivery.
- Drive motor vehicles to transport visitors to establishments and tour site locations.
Experience & Qualification Guidelines: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
Education: High school diploma or GED.
Experience: Six months to one year related experience working with audiences of varying ages.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to work indoors and outside in heat and cold, lift 40 pounds, climb and descend stairs, and traverse uneven ground.