Pay Range: $21.66 to $35.82/hour
The City of Olathe is a great place to work! We have more than 1000 employees dedicated to enhancing our community's quality of life. To learn more about what the City of Olathe has to offer click here and explore our Benefits, Vision, Values & Mission, and more.
Our Facilities Maintenance Team is growing, and this is an excellent opportunity to be a part of taking this team to the next level. We're looking for a Journeyman Electrician to work on a variety of commercial projects and general repairs. You will be responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining electrical systems and components. A strong work ethic and attention to detail are a must. We want someone who practices safe working habits at all times and understands the importance of planning and scheduling the days and weeks ahead.
Journeyman Electrician License is required for this position.
In addition to the job requirements listed below, the Journeyman Electrician position will:
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and correct electrical problems in low to medium voltages. Maintain all interior and exterior lights throughout the campus.
- Assist other departments in electrical work when needed. Repair or replace bad switches and outlets.
- Service electrical equipment by using standard and specialized tools. Must be able to perform work from boom lifts and ladders.
- Maintain, repair, and troubleshoot any and all electrical equipment/components/devices i.e., outlets, panels, HVAC, plumbing equipment and any/all equipment that requires electricity.
- Install new Electrical equipment to provide electrical power to machinery and or lighting additional outlets throughout campus for new equipment. Install add on to support electrical outlets and electrical panel and associated equipment.
- Demolition and renovation of offices and spaces for new space assignments to meet the needs of our customers. Remove, replace, and relocate lighting and power to accommodate power and lighting requirements based on blueprints and requests per supervisors. Repairs due to emergencies i.e., water leaks, equipment failure, fire, or anything assigned. Respond to Emergency Callout and on campus emergencies due to power loss, equipment failure and or damage too.
- Provide assistance to Contractors to conduct work and insure the accessibility and guidance in the new installation and or repair of electrical equipment.
- May lead and complete projects involving electrical projects.
- 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday
- Will participate in an on-call rotation
If selected for a position, you must successfully pass:
- Criminal Background Check
- Driving Record Review
- Drug Screen
- Please include your work history or attach a resume when applying
- Job will be posted until filled
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.
- Uses specialized skills to perform highly technical work in one or more skilled trades (HVAC, Building Automation, Electrical, Plumbing) on a variety of maintenance or project related tasks; diagnosis and troubleshoots, designs, and proposes corrective measures to complex systems; tests, calibrates, repairs, replaces and constructs various commercial building systems to include HVAC systems and components, building automation systems, electrical service and distribution systems (high and low voltage) and terminal devices, or plumbing distribution and terminal devices; serves as subject matter expert in particular skilled trade.
- Oversees repairs to equipment such as exhaust hoods, ovens, dishwashers, disposals steamers; pumps, motors, etc.; escorts vendors performing contracted services within secure areas; uses specialized skill set to inspect and assess the quality of work performed and provides feedback and guidance regarding quality expectations and deficiencies to ensure contractors accomplish defined bid specifications.
- Provides subject matter expertise working with department staff in the design/modification of new and existing systems; ensures test and repair telemetry equipment is reliability; sets up, programs, and repairs PLCs and single loop controllers.
- Performs various tasks requiring equipment, vehicle, and tool operation; uses a variety of small and large tools and operates a variety of light and medium duty equipment and attachments including tractors, trucks, scissor lifts, boom truck, and snow removal equipment.
- Coordinates training and safety requirements for their specialized skill set; ensures safety standards are met; shares knowledge, explains duties, and helps others acquire higher skill level; completes paperwork, work orders, timesheets, and equipment logs using computerized system; follows purchasing card guidelines.
- Performance requires ability to work independently with initiative and discretion within established guidelines.
- Review repair work and controls quality of work upon completion for soundness, appropriateness, and conformity to policy and requirements pertaining to troubleshooting and performing the more complex maintenance and repair activities on assigned City Infrastructures.
- Develops, implements, evaluates, and documents standards and procedures to ensure a uniform standard of maintenance; problem solving, cleanliness, implementation of solutions along with daily troubleshooting, maintenance and preventative maintenance to support facility operation for City buildings and facility maintenance; manages recycling; maintains cleaning equipment.
- Utilize computer work-order system for work performed on buildings and grounds.
- Receives and responds to inquiries, complaints, concerns, and suggestions.
- Keeps and maintains records in a timely and organized manner.
- Oversee multiple departments relating to the physical and structural safety of City buildings. Be proactive in search of hazards, dangers, or needs for improvement.
- Organizes multiple projects and leads multiple teams. Designs weekly schedules, delegates jobs and tasks to meet customer needs and deadlines in a timely manner.
- Reads and interprets data, identifies challenges, and finds reasonable solutions or strategies in response to, or preparation for, potential problems.
- Coaches, develops, trains, and sets expectations for team members in accordance with department goals and standards. Provides timely and appropriate feedback to team members.
- Participates in the hiring process for new employees and selection of contractors.
- Considers current and future needs of customers and department. Understands the big picture; participates in planning, suggesting and contributing to the overall effectiveness and success of the team.
- Plans, schedules, prioritizes, and assigns maintenance and repair work; communicates status of repairs to appropriate personnel, working cooperatively to schedule repairs in accordance with established and special operational priorities.
Experience & Qualification Guidelines: Any combination of experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
Education:High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Completion of Vo-Tech program/certification, Associates' degree, or equivalent, in HVAC, electrical, plumbing, or a related craft or trade is preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years in specialized trade (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, or Building Automation) performing at a journeyman/equivalent or above level (Universal Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certification or equivalent is required for HVAC specialty)
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial and institutional carpentry, painting, and masonry trades; considerable knowledge of plumbing and electrical trades; considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, tools and materials used in building maintenance and service.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of buildings or other structures.
- Strong interpersonal skills-skillful communicator verbally and in writing.
- Skilled decision maker and problem solver - Skilled at analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
License or Certification: Certification in specialized trade (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, or Building Automation) is preferred. Education can Substitute for Experience and one (1) additional year of related experience can substitute for education. Driver's license required.