Library Specialist – Electronic Resources
SALARY: $54,857.00 - $69,668.00 Annually
The City of Olathe , Kansas, seeks a dynamic leader to serve as the Electronic Resources Librarian for the Olathe Public Library . This position, reporting to a Library System Officer and a member of the Collection Services team, is an outstanding opportunity to lead a forward- focused library that embraces the community it serves.
The successful candidate will have a history of providing outstanding customer service. They will demonstrate enthusiasm for OPL's customer experience philosophy and supporting pillars to Greet, Give and Guide. The candidate should possess a spirit of curiosity, infectious enthusiasm and bring a sense of discovery to work each day.
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.
- Employs professional judgment in assessing the library collection and user needs to identify, evaluate, selectandmanageelectronicresources,suchasdatabases,ebooksandstreamingservicesinaccordance with the Olathe Public Library Collection DevelopmentPolicy.
- ServesastheOPLleadontheDatabaseAdvisoryTeam,ajointcommitteewiththeJohnsonCounty Library to purchase electronic resourcescollaboratively.
- Coordinates the content creation and maintenance for the library website and intranet. Implements time- sensitive updates to website information. Participates in the design of library web pages and the redesign of the library website when it is due forrenewal.
- Responsible for the maintenance and design input for the library web catalog interface. Serves as the OPL representative to the catalog vendor. Assists with troubleshooting customerissues.
- Recommend and make user experience improvements to web and related technologies for the library.
- Communicatesnewresources,updatesandissuestostaffsotheyareequippedtoanswercustomer questions.
- Coordinates staff training on electronic resources, including databases, ebooks and other web-based services.
- Troubleshoots electronic resources and assists customers and staff withaccess issues.
- Keeps informed of new developments in information technology and can identify those that are worthy of consideration and potentialimplementation.
- Participatesonorganizationalcommittees,specialproject orworkgroups;mayleadspecialprojects.
- Contributes to the revision of the Olathe Public Library's collection developmentpolicy.
- Participates in library staff meetings and community and professional activities related to their area of responsibility.
- Accountable for tracking and managing a significant budget and meeting spending deadlines set by CollectionManager.
- Participates in determining annual budget allocations for specific collectionarea.
- With the Collection Development Manager, evaluates reconsideration requests to determine appropriate action.
- Knowsandexplainslibraryservicestocustomersandassistslibrarycustomersinthelocationanduseof librarymaterials,equipment,andservicetechnology.Providesreader'sadvisoryservicesforcustomers.
- Accepts responsibility as person in charge of thebuilding.
- Other duties as assigned.
- NON-ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES: Attending workshops and training sessions as needed to fulfill jobduties and provides backup and support to other librarystaff.
- Knowledge of electronic resource pricing models andlicensing.
- Current knowledge of user-centered design principles, best practices and their application to web technologies inlibraries.
- Principles of intellectual freedom and openaccess.
- Popular titles and authors, trends in library service, including virtual service, the limitations, and specialized rules regarding e-books in libraries, the subjects and authors trending in the publishing industry as required in area ofexpertise.
- Remains current on advancements and changes in the field of library science, related specifically to job duties.
- General budgeting practices.
- Research using websites anddatabases.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications, particularlyExcel.
- Affinityfordigitaldevicessuchascomputers,laptops,tablets,smartphonesandeBookreaders usedby customers to access library services. Ability to learn such technologiesquickly.
- Prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, work accurately, and maintainconfidentiality.
- Demonstrateexcellentorganizationandplanning skillsandperformmultipletasksconcurrently.
- Complete all work accurately and with attention todetail.
- Successfully resolve matters ofconflict.
- Lead and work within a team environment.
Experience and Education Guidelines: Any combinationofexperienceandeducationthatwould likely providethe requiredknowledge,skills andabilitiesis acceptable.A typicalway to obtainthe knowledge,skills andabilities wouldbe:
- Minimum of three years library experience, preferably public library experience.
- Experience with the Sirsi library informationsystem.
- Experience with iOS and Android operating systems, including Kindle andFire OS.
- Three years related experience in managing electronicresources.
- Experience in collectiondevelopment.
- Can inspire and motivate entire divisions of the organization, ability to communicate a compelling andinspired vision as well as a sense ofpurpose.
- Demonstrated ability to work with thepublic.
- Expertise with user experience.
Supervised by: Collection Services Manager.