Part Time (up to 19 hours)
Hiring Rate: $14.50 hourly
Are you passionate about the great outdoors and eager to make a positive impact in your Olathe community? Do you have a deep appreciation for nature and a desire to protect and preserve it for future generations? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you!
Join our team as a Park Ranger and become a steward of the natural beauty that the City of Olathe has to offer. As a Park Ranger, you'll play a crucial role in ensuring the safety of our visitors, conserving our precious green spaces, and educating the public about the wonders of the natural world.
If you're ready to embark on an adventure that combines your love for nature with a rewarding career, we invite you to apply and be a part of our dedicated team of park enthusiasts.
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.
Park Rangers are responsible for ensuring safety, providing security, and engaging with the community. This role requires adept communication abilities and involves a diverse range of tasks, such as safeguarding park resources, ensuring the security of special events, and providing safety education. The position involves year-round work in different weather conditions, primarily outdoors.
- Conduct thorough patrols of park facilities, trails, and sites to ensure visitor compliance with relevant rules and regulations. Utilize visual assessments to monitor park resource usage and maintain public safety.
- Take proactive measures by issuing warnings for violations of municipal park ordinances, education codes, and other regulatory guidelines.
- Play a vital role in managing park operations by opening and closing park areas, executing part-time patrol shifts covering various times of the day, evenings, weekends, and holidays, and contributing to the success of special events.
- Compile comprehensive informational and performance reports to contribute to the enhancement of the ranger program's effectiveness.
- Embrace the role of providing educational sessions on safety and interpretation to enrich the experience of park visitors and ensure their well-being.
- Demonstrate quick and decisive responsiveness to emergencies, coordinating efficient and well-communicated responses, including notification of the Olathe Police department when necessary.
Experience: One year or two seasons of park experience in public relations, natural science, open-space and/or security background/experience is preferred. Must be at least 21 years of age.
Education: A High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
Licenses & Certifications: Must possess a First AID/CPR certificate or obtain it within the first six months of employment. Must possess a valid driver's license with a favorable driving record.