Public Works Concrete Maintenance Worker
Do you have experience in concrete or street maintenance?
Do you enjoy working in a team environment?
Do you want to continue to thrive and grow in your experience, training and education?
Want to help the City of Leawood's Public Works Maintenance division thrive?
THE CITY OF LEAWOOD, KANSAS is looking for a
Public Works Concrete Maintenance Worker
Why you should apply to be a part of the Public Works Maintenance Team at the City of Leawood as a Public Works Concrete Maintenance Worker:
- The City of Leawood is in an exciting and dynamic period of growth and we are looking at expanding our Public Works Concrete Crew.
- The Public Works Maintenance Team strives to have a great working environment where they work as a team and assist each other in their professional growth.
- The Public Works Maintenance Team strives for excellence in their service to each other, clients, fellow employees, the Governing Body and ultimately the citizens of Leawood.
Additional Information: The City of Leawood offers career development opportunities in which the employee could increase their experience, training, and pay. The position is eligible to receive merit based pay increases every year (merit increase up to 3.9% increase). Employees also receive a Time In Service Bonus every three years of employment on their anniversary date equal to 5% of their annual salary.
Summary of the Position: The Concrete Maintenance Worker performs a wide variety of semi-skilled tasks related to the maintenance and construction on City-owned facilities, roadways, and property. Responsibilities include maintenance of arterial, collector and residential streets, pavement striping and fabrication of traffic signs. Assists in emergency operations, including snow removal, flood response and other natural disasters.
General Overview of Responsibilities:
- Assists in the maintenance and construction of City-owned facilities, streets, roads, right-of-ways, and stormwater systems. Assists with trash removal, lawn debris and general clean-up of roadways, walkways and streets.
- Assists in repairing, replacing and maintaining concrete on walkways, sidewalks, curbs, storm water catch basins and ditch liners.
- Assists in the filling of cracks and potholes.
- Assists in the layout and application of payment markings on various roadways, crosswalks, parking lots, and fire lanes.
- Assists in setting up work zone traffic signs and following safety protocols at work sites, walkways and roadways to assist in directing traffic safely around the site and ensure the safety of the workers.
- May assist in the inspection of streets, walkways and curbs for areas in need of concrete repair.
- May assist residents in maintenance repairs on properties including but not limited to sidewalks, painting and sprinkler repairs damaged by sidewalk replacement or snow damage.
- May assist in the fabrication, layout and installation of various traffic control (metal) signs including but not limited to stop signs, election signs, and speed limit signs.
- Employee will be required to assist with snow removal operations and other emergency activities which require occasionally working extended shifts, and after normal hours, including weekends and/or holidays. Typical emergency shifts are twelve hours.
- Employee will have the opportunity to train with various crews and gain additional experience including but not limited to laying and repair of asphalt, concrete, storm water inspections, fabrication of traffic signs, pavement striping, and will serve as backup on alternate crews when needed.
Minimum Requirements: Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent. Four (4) years of public works street maintenance experience, preferred. A Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brakes and tanker endorsements, preferred. Must possess a valid driver's license and acceptable driving record per the City's drivers Use of Vehicles for City Business policy throughout employment with the City.
Accepting Applications through Friday October 6, 2023
Starting Rate of Pay: $20.17 - $25.00 / hourly
(This is a non-exempt benefits eligible position.)*
* Applicants that currently hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or B
is eligible to receive a stipend; up to $5,000 for a Class A and up to $3,000 for a Class B.