Water Treatment Plant Mechanic
WaterOne's Plant Mechanic team is responsible for maintaining all WaterOne machinery by performing mechanical maintenance and repairs on water treatment equipment, pumping equipment, and plumbing systems at all WaterOne facilities.
WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We've been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 455,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It's a responsibility we deliver on. Our passion is water, because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
We provide competitive benefits and compensation ranges. Selected candidates are placed in the position's pay range based on qualifications.
Pay Range: From $24.04/hr
Required Education, Skills & Experience
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of three years' professional experience as a maintenance mechanic working with a variety of machinery or equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical theory and practice.
- Have a broad knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices.
- Have experience with or the ability to learn and apply all applicable requirements pertaining to hazardous waste operations.
- Understand equipment and structures unique to a water utility.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Broad knowledge of measuring devices such as micrometers, depth gauges, calipers, dial indicators.
- Ability to climb water towers or other structures (safety equipment provided) when required.
- Must possess organizational skills and the ability to handle a wide variety of assignments.
- Demonstrate basic computer proficiency with MS Office (Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word).
- Communicate well in English both orally and in writing.
- Must work well within a team environment.
- Must be reachable and available for emergency call-out.
- Possess a valid driver's license and continually meet WaterOne driving standards.
- Must be knowledgeable of applicable safety requirements, including, but not limited to, confined space entry, use of personal protective equipment, proper use of power and hand tools, and the safe handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Must pass post-offer medical exam, including drug screen and background verification (may not apply to current employees).
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience
- Vocational school or technical training in mechanical maintenance or related field.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning software, such as SAP.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally lift/or move up to 100 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee must be able to move occasionally from one location to another or be able to remain in a stationary position for up to several hours a day. The employee must be in possession of a licenses and be able to operate a vehicle at any given time. The employee must be able to occasionally position self to install, remove, or maintain equipment and other items. The employee must be able to distinguish colors and ascend and descend ladders to work on equipment. The employee must meet qualifications for using air purifying and air supplied respiratory protection.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Protective equipment, including but not limited to personal protective equipment for eyes, face, head and extremities, protective clothing, respiratory devices, and protective shields and barriers, may be required and shall be maintained in the sanitary and reliable condition wherever it is necessary by reason of hazards of process or environment, chemical hazards, or mechanical hazard encountered in a manner capable of causing injury or impairment in the function of any part of the body through absorption, inhalation or physical contact.
Equal Opportunity Employer
WaterOne is an equal opportunity employer and upholds a non-discrimination policy. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, military status, or marital status in making employment and business decisions. We also prohibit harassment and retaliation in the workplace and in our dealings with the public. We encourage and welcome diversity of backgrounds in our workforce. WaterOne complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA).
Complete job description is available upon request and will be provided during the selection process.