Youth Recreation Specialist
Hiring Range: $41,000 - $52,000, depending on qualifications
The City of Olathe - Quality of Life is looking for a detail-oriented person with an interest in youth development recreation programming. The ideal candidate will have experience in planning, managing and preparing events, managing day-to-day matters in KidZone and youth development programming.
This position develops, promotes, schedules, and supervises youth development programs and events. Assists in the publicity of activities to foster involvement for programs; and provides assistance and support to assigned management staff. Supervising staff, youth and volunteers with focuses on events and community youth development.
The City of Olathe is setting the standard for excellence in public service by providing services to enhance the quality of life for everyone in our community. To achieve this mission, the City of Olathe is committed to fostering an inclusive environment that reflects Olathe's increasingly diverse population and empowers employees to celebrate and embrace what makes us extraordinary.
For more details, review the full job details and requirements below.
The Recreation Specialist position develops, promotes, schedules, and supervises youth development programs and events. This position also assists in the publicity of activities to foster involvement for programs, provides support to assigned management staff, and supervises staff, participants, and volunteers within their assigned area(s) of focus.
- Recruit, develop, organize, schedule, and supervise assigned programs and events offered by Olathe Parks & Recreation as assigned.
- Foster community involvement and support of assigned programs.
- Support the annual budget development processes for assigned programs; monitor expenditures and ensure adherences to budget; gather data for annual budget; recommend budget adjustments and modifications as appropriate and necessary.
- Maintain records and develop reports and related correspondence concerning new or ongoing programs and events; maintain and file related reports as required.
- Monitor and evaluate quality, responsiveness, efficiency, and effectiveness of assigned recreational programs.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives and priorities for assigned programs and services.
Experience:Two years of increasingly responsible experience in recreation programming including one year of administrative or supervisory experience is required. Prefer one year experience working with youth within a recreation setting.
Education:Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Recreation Administration, Leisure Services, or a related field is required.
Licenses & Certifications: KDHE Director Application Approval & KCCTO Foundation Certification required within 6 months of hire.
Supplemental Information: Must successfully pass a supplemental background check including pre-employment physical/drug screening. KDHE Required TB Test, Fingerprinting and background screening to be added to Pre-K Licensing.